Tuesday, March 22, 2005

This is the neeeeeeewwwws

A few things have been going around my mind today so I'm going to copy The Realist and make a few points under one, easy to digest post. Lazy? Oh yes.
  1. Speaking today, Tony Blair said that church leaders should play a bigger role in society. No, they shouldn't. He also said churches make a "visible, tangible difference for the better in society". No, they don't.
  2. Hospital superbug MRSA has claimed its youngest victim so far: a 36-hour-old baby. Who wants to bet that the Conservative Party won't try to make political capital out of this tragedy within the next two days? They've been grabbing at straws trying to stake a claim for any populist political cause lately. Even more than usual. Anything to get media coverage, usually appealing to the baser instincts. Immigrants, abortion, gypsies, the EU convention on human rights, the toast landing buttered side down - if they think people don't like it, they'll build a policy around it. I saw one of their campaign ads the other day, which simply says, in a mock, "common sense" statement: "I mean, how difficult can it be to clean a hospital?". The idea that the NHS would be safer under a Tory government is so laughable it doesn't even warrant consideration. It'd be like making Colonel Sanders patron saint of chickens.
  3. The Terri Schiavo ruling. I don't know whether it is right or wrong to continue someone's life under these circumstances - I don't know enough about the case and the situation changes depending on where you read about it. Some sources say she responds to conversation and certain stimulus, others say she is in a permanent vegetative state. Who to believe? The fact that Florida state and, now, after a grisly pantomime, a Federal judge have decreed that the feeding tube should be removed, suggests that the medical prognosis that she should be allowed to die is the correct one. I know that if I was in that situation I would not want to live. The idea of perpetuating life, just because it is possible, is ridiculous. Surely keeping her alive is the cruellest of options? But even then, the manner of the death is horrific. Withdrawal of food and water until death by dehydration occurs? That's positively barbaric. Surely there's a quicker and more humane way of doing this?
  4. Camilla Parker Bowles will not be queen when Charles becomes king. She will instead be "Princess Consort". Well, praise be! Thank the stars we've finally had that one clarified.
  5. Another day, another gun massacre at an American high school. But you'd be a fool to think that changing the gun laws would make a difference. After all, guns don't kill people: psychopathic, Nazi-obsessed goths with easy access to guns kill people.
  6. I know it's all in a good cause, and it's "just a bit of fun", but if I hear that fucking Comic Relief song by Peter Kay/Tony Christie one more time I swear I will go on a killing spree of my own. Is This The Way To Amarillo? No, it's the way to irritate the hell out of the whole country. Peter Kay, the backlash starts here.

7 comments:

sparx said...

1. Right on
2. Right on
3. Very good point about how she's going to die. Still think it's the right thing to do though so, Right on.
4. Whatever.
5. I love guns, they don't kill people and any hippy commie treehugger who says different is going to get popped in the head. Er. I mean, Right on.
6. I initially think Right on. But then I think of those people, deprived of buying Tony Christie and picking up G4 instead and i'm not so sure.

Titwitch said...

As a way to entertain myself, I think I will sing that song whenever you are around - just to see your reaction. Bye!

Anonymous said...

1. Bit extreme? What they preach may be based on talking snakes and rivers split in two, but the morality behind it has underpinned western civilisation, morality, for the past 2,000 years. Except slavery - we'll forget about that one. However, I do believe it was a Christian that lead the first serious attempt for its abolition. It would be interesting to see exactly what you think of the bible - historically accurate in any way? Of no use to us now? Church of England far too easy a target.

Anonymous said...

Dear C.S.,
Unlike Titwitch, I like to entertain myself by asking devout christians if they think jesus ever masterbated? I will sometimes relieve their ensuing apoplexy by suggesting that he probably didn't, but, would have had no control over 'nocturnal emissions'. I then go on to suggest that after one such event, a naked fertile female (his mother perhaps?) sat upon his love's effluvia, and was fertilised. I then state that my ancestors came from that part of the world and that there is a small probability that I am a direct lineal descendant of jesus the christ! At this point the christians are either dead, or, in need of years of expensive psycotherapy. xxxoo GER

Citizen Sane said...

I don't think it's extreme. You're right: the morality behind it has undermined western civilisation for 2,000 years but these values also predated Christianity and were appropriated by the church. The christian church ate up a lot of cultural values that we now associate directly with it. My argument is that these values, especially post-enlightenment, are not indelibly associated with religion and we do not need organised religion with its mass of contradictions and hypocrisies to maintain our value system. Which is why church attendance in this country is, and by the standards of other countries always has been, very low. And my target isn't the Church of England in particular either - I have a broad taste of religious dislike, and it pretty much extends to all of them.

Citizen Sane said...

Oh and GER (Germany? Germaine? General Enoch Rothchild?), thanks for your thoughts on Jesus and his wanking preferences.

Titwitch said...

In the event that you forget the words....

Sha la la lala lalala
Sha la la lala lalala
Sha la la lala lalala

When the day is dawning on a Texas Sunday morning
how I long to be there
with Marie who's waiting for me there
every lonely city where I hang my hat
ain't as half as pretty as where my baby's at

Is this the way to Amarillo
every night I've been hugging my pillow dreaming dreams of Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me
show me the way to Amarillo
I've been weeping like a willow
crying over Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me

Sha la la lala lalala Sha la la lala lalala
Sha la la lala lalala and Marie who waits for me

There's a church bell ringing
hear the song of joy that it's singing for the sweet Mariaand the guy who's coming to see her
just beyong the highway, there's an open plain and it keeps me going through the wind and rain

Is this the way to Amarillo
every night I've been hugging my pillow dreaming dreams of Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me
show me the way to Amarillo
I've been weeping like a willow
crying over Amarillo and sweet Marie who waits for me

Sha la la lala lalala Sha la la lala lalala
Sha la la lala lalala and Marie who waits for me