Thursday, March 17, 2005

Top of da morning to ya

Today is one day of the year that never ceases to amaze me. I am always surprised, no, staggered, at how many Irish people there are in this country. Judging by the heaving pubs and bars in London tonight, it must be something like fifty per cent of the population. Incredible. I know catholics tend to have large families, but this is ridiculous. Where are they the rest of the year? Is it like flies in winter?

Seriously, what is it about St Patrick's Day that encourages mass participation? What is it about this day that makes people who are about as Irish as General Pinochet's cock want to drink Guinness while wearing those fucking stupid hats? I always struggle to remember when St George's Day is. I think it's April 23rd, but I wouldn't bet on it. Not only am I not sure when it is, I don't care either. Nor, as is no doubt now abundantly clear, do I care about St Patrick's day. Why would I? Why would anyone, other than the Irish? It's their national day after all.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone care about this day? This day is an excuse to drink; a semi-Irish hobby, I am told. Besides, the other semi-Irish hobby of blowing up school buses full of children is frowned upon in most places. xxoo GER

DB said...

He's a funny one.

Apart from the whole beer drinking thing theres the impression that being irish is 'cool'. You should come to Boston to see the biggest bunch of wannabee Irish there ever were.

I for one like to celebrate my Anglo-Irish landowner heritage...though not to loudly and definately not in Southie...heh.

DB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear db,
Ahhh, Boston!.... lost a few gametes in the combat zone there many moons ago, had a dip in the Charles too. My grandmother on my father's side was Irish, but I have had a sufficient number of 9 litre blood transfusions to rid myself of this 'Irishness' xxoo GER

morphess said...

The whole of New Zealand is Irish too. Commiserations. And it is the 23rd, also Shakesperes birthday. Seamus Shakespere.

Anonymous said...

Ger - perhaps you were being ironic/flippant/whatever, but to suggest that all Irish people partake in or condone "blowing up school buses full of children" is out of order.

sparx said...

Being of irish descent myself I can honestly say that neither myself or any of my family have ever partaken in the past-time referred to by Ger. And I think this applies to the vast majority of Irish people anywhere.
We do enjoy the thrashing of the England rugby team which looks like it's turning into an annual event.

esmeralda said...

Ger anon - Move on get a life you twat!

Ms Jones said...

"as Irish as General Pinochet's cock"

The laughter almost killed me!

Tim said...

WHy do we care about St Patrick's day?

Simple. The Irish care enough to have a party and the rest of us gatecrash.

That's why there's no St George's Day celebration. The English don't care enough, so we don't have a party.

Anonymous said...

Dear Folks,
My Grandmother was Irish, and, she had a sense of humour. I got all my Irish jokes from her. The blood transfusions also cleared out the vile English protoplasm from my Mother's side. I can now proudly say I have no genetic link to those inbred thalidomide stump suckers who inhabit that group of islands north of France and west of Norway Humour is Good! xxoo GER

Anonymous said...

Ger, you are still a twat.