Thursday, June 30, 2005

It’s Not Indie Rock and Roll For Me

Originally posted by The Realist

Nice to see that Glastonbury this year was a washout. The post-festival comments were all along the lines of:

‘It didn't matter about the rain or mud, Coldplay were absolutely amazing’

but that’s clearly a load of old cock. I was at the two real mud-fests (‘97 and ‘98) which made this look like a picnic in a desert and it does matter and it’s not fun. The positive reviews stem from a collective will to see that the festival is ‘great’ or, at the very least, ‘worth it’, despite the weather. It’s not. It’s the same blind faith and desire to see something replicate a glorious past as when Second Coming came out and people were willing it to be great.

In reality, just like the Vale of Avalon last weekend, it was an unrelenting shower of shit.

4 comments:

Len Ponder said...

Couldn't agree more.

I've never been to Glastonbury - I've always been put off by the (possibility) of spending a weekend knee-deep in shit.

I'd love to go, love to see the bands, love to spend a weekend off me rocker but first stick me in a five star hotel round the corner and bring me eggs benedict for breakfast,

Laura said...

Hmmmmm. Dare I say that Second Coming is really a great album. One my favorites!

The Realist said...

No you may not say that. You're just 'willing' it to be good...

Laura said...

No really. I loved it. Got it in my handbag at the moment for my trip up to manchester