Thursday, July 07, 2005

Holy Shit

Originally posted by The Realist

Just a quick note for those I can't reach and those who read the blog. Citizen Sane and I are both OK.

More than nine times out of 10, I take the Piccadilly Line to work via Kings Cross. Today, I got to the platform and the next Piccadilly Line train was three minutes away, so (being impatient and angry as it was the morning) I took the Victoria line - something I had NEVER done. EVER. NOT ONCE.

So I should have been on that train this morning.

I was, however, on the tube at Kings Cross this morning when the incident happened there, albeit on the other line. The train driver lied to us about why we couldn't stop, locked us on the train, to keep us calm and sped us through the City, where I found out (only later) that other bombs were going on above my head. Absolute nightmare.

What was great was that myself and all of my friends called and mailed around and it didn't take long to work out that no-one was hurt. I'm in shock at the moment, but I'm sure future blogs from Citizen Sane and myself will make sense of it all. That's what we're here for, after all.

5 comments:

Laura said...

Can you really make sense of something like this?

Cleavers said...

I don't know what to say. Glad you are safe.

How on earth can something like this EVER be justifiable?

Anonymous said...

After this - and any other terrorist atrocity has happened - I am reminded of the words often attributed to Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

ph said...

I was in a bar in Borneo when the news about the bombings came on the scrotty TV in the corner. Since then many people of many nations and religions seem to see me as the focus of their commiserations.
It is good to know that most of the world is human.

As an inveterate tube user I suppose I had prepared myself for this day, I am just suprised it happened when I was elsewhere

Anonymous said...

How surreal. How wonderful it was for the lucky ones ( including myself ) to realise those you love are safe. I found it bizarre that even though we have prepared ourselves for this for so long, that we couldn't actually believe it was happening. Should we be thankful that ONLY 37 ( present count ) people are dead?